How Can I Get My Criminal Record Expunged in California?
No doubt of it—a criminal record can be a serious impediment on your life. Every time you try to better yourself, your record will come back to slap you down. So much of what is most important in life can be severely affected, such as job prospects, housing options, school programs, and even your fundamental rights.
At this point, you’re probably asking yourself, “How can I get my criminal record expunged in California?” Many people aren’t aware of this, but it is possible for you to have certain charges removed from your record. A criminal defense lawyer from Crowell Law Offices can help.
Eligibility for Expunging Criminal Charges
Some charges and convictions can’t be expunged from your record because of the seriousness of the crime. However, many misdemeanors and felonies in California will qualify for a dismissal. Here are a few of the situations that qualify you to file for a dismissal:
- You successfully completed probation for the offense with which you were charged.
- You’ve paid all required fines, restitution, or other fees in your case.
- You are not on probation for another offense and are not currently serving another sentence.
- You are not currently charged with a separate offense.
- If your case was a misdemeanor or infraction, you have waited one year from the date of the offense to apply for dismissal.
The above are not all the eligibility requirements, and even some felony convictions can be dismissed if your offense qualifies. You will need to file a petition requesting a dismissal, and the judge can choose to grant your dismissal or not based on all the evidence you present. Evidence you might need to present includes the following:
- Proof of successful completion of probation
- Proof that you paid all fines and fees
- Statements in support of your behavior since conviction
- Your criminal history
Speak with a Sacramento Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you believe you might qualify to have your record expunged, don’t hesitate to contact Crowell Law Offices and speak with one of our knowledgeable attorneys. We know how to get your criminal record expunged in California, we understand which offenses qualify, and we’d be happy to discuss your case with you.
To get in touch, call our office at 916-303-2800 or fill out the contact form below.