Sacramento Arson Lawyer
Being convicted of arson can make your future go up in flames. But a Sacramento arson attorney can help you avoid this outcome.
Facing a potential arson conviction in California is a very serious matter. If you don’t take the necessary steps, your freedom could be in jeopardy. Luckily, our team at Crowell Law Offices is here to help. With the assistance of a Sacramento arson lawyer, you may be able to build a viable defense and escape harsh punishments.
Penalties for Arson in California
The penalties for an arson conviction in the state of California can vary greatly. Your sentencing will be highly dependent on a few factors. Some of these factors include any previous convictions, as well as what was allegedly set ablaze. Whether or not you are convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor is also contingent upon these factors.
Some penalties you may face if you are convicted of arson in Sacramento include the following:
- Structure or Forest – If you are convicted of setting fire to forested land or a structure, it is considered a felony. For this charge, you may face up to six years in a state prison.
- Property – Arson on a property that does not belong to you is also considered a felony in California. Penalties for this crime may include up to three years in a state prison.
- Arson That Leads to Injury – If the arson led to significant harm of another person, you could receive a felony charge and up to nine years in a state prison.
- Inhabited Structures or Properties – Setting a property or structure ablaze when it is inhabited is also considered a felony and could land you up to eight years in a state prison.
- Aggravated Arson – Also a felony, aggravated arson is the harshest of all the possible arson charges. If convicted, you could spend anywhere from ten years to life in prison.
Defenses for Arson in Sacramento
Because the penalties for an arson conviction can be quite severe, your Sacramento arson charge attorney will use some highly effective defensive strategies to aid in your case. If these strategies are successful, we may be able to get you a conviction that is less harsh or even convince the court to throw out the charges altogether.
Some common defense strategies your Sacramento arson defense lawyer may use include the following:
- Proving that the fire was an accident and not created with the intent of imposing harm
- Arguing that the prosecutor doesn’t possess enough evidence to prove you were responsible for the blaze
- Proving that another party was responsible for the arson and that you are being wrongfully accused
- Proving that the fire was not manmade and was instead created by nature or structural issues
Call a Sacramento Arson Attorney
If you are facing arson charges, we highly recommend getting in touch with our team at Crowell Law Offices. With the help of a seasoned Sacramento arson lawyer, you may be able to safeguard your freedom and avoid conviction or harsh penalties.
Give us a call today at 916-303-2800 to schedule an initial consultation and discuss the details of your case. To request more information, fill out our online contact form at the bottom of the page now.