Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Amputation Lawyer
When you’ve lost a limb in a motorcycle wreck because of someone else’s negligence, you deserve a settlement for what you’ve been through. Get the funds you are owed by working with a Sacramento motorcycle accident amputation lawyer.
Amputations are far more likely to occur in motorcycle crashes than they are in other types of vehicle accidents. Because motorcycle riders are so exposed, they often try to break their fall by extending an arm or leg; sometimes limbs get pinned or trapped in-between vehicles or debris from the accident. Any of these situations can cause a traumatic amputation during the crash or so thoroughly damage a limb that it must be amputated later.
Losing a limb is traumatic enough, but the medical expenses and changes to your quality of life can create an overwhelming situation—one that you might not even be at fault for causing. If this is your situation, a Sacramento motorcycle accident amputation lawyer from Crowell Law Offices can help you seek compensation from those at fault.
Medical Care for an Amputation
Limb loss is both traumatic and expensive. The level of care required in the emergency room is only the beginning. Amputees have additional, ongoing medical expenses that can include all of the following points:
- Initial rehabilitation services that include in-patient care
- Ongoing physical and emotional therapy
- Prosthetic limbs
- Wheelchairs and other mobility equipment
- Medication and pain management
- Cost of treating ancillary injuries, such as infections
Many of these expenses can continue for the rest of an amputee’s life, making it critical to receive as much compensation as possible through your personal injury claim.
Insurance Claims and Motorcycle Crash Limb Loss
Medical expenses might initially be covered through an insurance claim, but this will not continue in perpetuity. Your case will need to be settled through either negotiations or court.
While the case is ongoing, be careful not to speak with the other party’s insurance company without the assistance of an attorney from our firm. They will use what you say against you whenever possible to reduce the payout you receive.
Proving Negligence for a Motorcycle Wreck
To have a strong case, we must gather evidence to prove that someone else was responsible for the motorcycle accident that led to your limb loss. This will require a full investigation that will demand reviewing all of the following items:
- Accident reports and documents provided by the police
- Witness testimony
- Doctors’ statements and medical records
- Pictures and videos of the scene
This is the most important step in the process, because without negligence, you cannot win a lawsuit.
Compensation for a Motorbike Amputation
In addition to money for medical bills, you may also be awarded funds to pay for the other ways that your life has been impacted by losing a limb in a motorcycle accident:
- Quality of Life Changes – Without the full use of your limbs, daily life will change and so will the number of activities you can physically do.
- In-home Caregivers – It is common for amputees to require some level of in-home care, which should be covered by the settlement.
- New Vehicle – It might be necessary to purchase a special type of vehicle.
- Home Remodel – Money to make a home handicap-friendly should be awarded.
- Pain and Suffering – Physical, mental, and emotional pain from the loss of a limb should be compensated.
- Lost Income – Losing an arm, leg, hand, or foot could easily make it impossible to continue in your current job and earn a living.
Consult a Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Limb Loss Lawyer
Don’t let an insurance company give you an inadequate settlement after suffering an amputation in a motorcycle crash. Protect your rights and your financial future by scheduling a free consultation with Crowell Law Offices. You can reach us by using the form below or by calling 916-303-2800.