Sacramento Domestic Violence Lawyer
Domestic violence is a serious charge, and it can have serious impacts on your future. Minimize those potential impacts by enlisting the services of a Sacramento domestic violence attorney.
Domestic violence charges present some of the more serious legal situations for which you need an attorney. These charges carry with them the potential for hefty fines, jail time, and other life-altering punishments. Without qualified legal representation, you could find your life in shambles for a crime you did not commit.
To avoid such outcomes, hire a Sacramento domestic violence lawyer from Crowell Law Offices. Our experienced attorneys have helped countless victims prove their innocence and avoid harsh sentences, and we can help you, too.
Domestic Violence Penalties
In the state of California, the penalties you could face if you are convicted of a domestic violence charge can be rather severe. Although the unique circumstances of each situation make every case different, even the most minimal sentences create the potential for serious impacts on your life.
The following are some of the penalties you may face if you are found guilty of a domestic violence charge in California:
- Fifty-two weeks of a battery education and reform program
- Jail time that ranges from days to years, depending on the circumstances of your case
- Between $6,000 and $10,000 in fines, depending on whether this is your first conviction
- Inability to own a firearm
- Anger management classes
- Removal from the residence
Because of the broad range of potential sentences for domestic violence in California, attempting to handle your case on your own is not advised. Having a Sacramento domestic abuse lawyer is so crucial because it will help you avoid serious sentencing—and possibly even avoid a conviction altogether.
Defenses Your Sacramento Domestic Violence Attorney May Use
Without a qualified and knowledgeable attorney on your side, developing a viable defense strategy will be nearly impossible. It takes an experienced legal professional to know which factors of your case point toward certain defense tactics.
Without a strong defense, you may find yourself with the harshest sentencing possible.
Some potential defense strategies your Sacramento domestic violence attorney may choose to utilize in your case include the following:
- Self-Defense – This is one of the most commonly used defense strategies in domestic violence and assault cases. In these instances, your attorney will prove that any harm that came to the other party was brought about by a need to defend yourself from his or her actions.
- Consent – In some cases, the attorney will try to prove that the harm brought to the other party was actually the result of consensual sexual acts and that it was requested of you.
- The Wrong Abuser – Another viable defense strategy in domestic violence cases comes from proving that any injuries or damages sustained by the other party were not actually your doing. In fact, they were brought on by another party, and you are wrongfully being held responsible for the other person’s crimes.
Turn to a Sacramento Domestic Abuse Lawyer
If you have been accused of domestic violence, the attorneys at Crowell Law Offices are here to help you.
To discuss your case and how to beat your charges, give a Sacramento domestic violence lawyer a call today at 916-303-2800. To reach out online, fill out the contact form at the bottom of this page.